BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Peace out "W"




So I'm at work today (mad about that) and doing my normal first day of the week items. Today is a special day though so my tasks of things to do is interrupted by my manager to triple check that the streaming was working on all the major news outlets. So of course I'm make sure that today's historic event could be watched by bad kids from all sides of Riverside CA.

So I finally get to sit down in our break room halfway through the speech (thank God for TiVO) and what do I see? Good ole boy "W" sitting outside in the cold with the common folk, looking up at the podium at this African-American looking sharp as a tack wearing the regal presidential red tie. "W" didn't look to happy to be outside but he must have been the only one because the crowd was going buck wild like they were at a USC-UCLA football game. "W" had this look on his face and I knew the look. It was that look that you get when you have 25 steps to the toilet and you can only hold it for 20.

So I head back over to my desk and one of the older (lets call him Republican) guys in the office starts in on how President Obama was stumbling on his speech and that he didn't speak very long. Of course this got my blood boiling and I had to give him one just because. I told him and anyone within an earshot of me that, It's easy to hear when a superior orator stumbles because it doesn't happen often. We have been so used to listening to a bumbling idiot speak for 8 years that I was amazed that anyone could even tell Obama stumbled. Not to mention it was a very nervous moment.

So today is THAT day. Sadly today's generation doesn't really grasps the weight and magnitude of today. Growing up in the '70s I just missed all the of the civil rights movements of the 60s. I did how ever have a mother that was involved in it and she made it a point my entire life to educate me on the blood sweat and tears that it took to get to today. I don't think that I ever did a book report in school that wasn't on some person who helped pave the way. I wanted to do a report on OJ Simpson and I ended up writing about Fredrick Douglas. I wanted to watch Threes Company and I had to watch Roots. I wanted to get a curl and I had to rock the Shag (I'm thinking about bringing that back).

My family is from Montgomery Alabama. They were down there during the heights of it all. My grandfather is still friends with some of those people that I read about as a youngin. I remember spending every summer down there up until I hit high school. I didn't know why but was told years after that they didn't want me down there anymore. I was born and raised in LA. My mentality was that of a kid from LA. I guess I was with my grandfather somewhere and somebody called him boy. Now down there it wasn't a big deal and how it was but to me it was disrespectful so I checked the old man at the store. I let him know he was talking to a man and if he wanted to talk to a boy he should address me. Needless to say I didn't go back to visit until I was 25.

I hope that today is just a preview of things to come. I'd love to think that we have changed that much. I'd love to have my kids believe that this is the norm. I'm happy more than I can put into words. I just want to make sure that my children and their children know that before there was Barack Obama that there was church bombings, water hoses, police dogs, and lynchings. I told my Hispanic counterpart today that, "TODAY IS THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE I AM HAPPY TO FIT THE DESCRIPTION"

Peace out "W" It's my world now bitch. GET OFF DEEZNUTZ~

2 comments:

Her said...

I know where you are coming from on this one! I was a product of the 80's but still felt the sting of racism, younger folks today just dont know what we as a people went through to get here. Kudos!

Ms.Brown said...

Outstanding blog, with one exception. LEAVE the shag ALONE! Justin brought sexy back, but leave the shag where it's at.